Sunday 23 May 2010

Sketching ideas

These are a couple of images from my sketchbook of ideas for using elements of the cityscape and blending them together, much like what I did in my painting 'I love the smell of Ammonia in the Morning' (see earlier posts on painting on copper)

This image is based on several elements of Erfurt, I liked the idea of playing with continuing/mirroring the lines of one element into another one and the resulting play in scale. I was also interested in the idea of presenting quite realistic detailed areas next to the more abstract areas and how this can represent the seemingly random elements of the city.


This sketch was based on a trip I made to Leipzig. I sketched in the building and at a later point in the day added the railings. When I added the blue marks I intended this to be quite decorative as a juxtaposition to the austerity of the block of buildings and the railings.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this has made me very nostalgic. Your obviously a smart cookie it's funny how much you know about everything, when I saw all the same stuff and most of that flew right past me. I think you need to put up all the recent stuff, I want to see your new paintings.From an adoring fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked the spiky tree thing. I'm into trees these days. Great photies in this though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am working on many new paintings, 15 at the last count (all at once so, as usual, I will have masses all finished at the same time) I will post them when finished and when I am exhibiting them). The trees also something I am working on, have more sketches of trees from Germany which I am waiting for the photos back to post them on here and have a couple of paintings of trees also to come..

    ReplyDelete

www.andrew-smith-artist.co.uk/